domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010

How to Avoid a Turkey Thanksgiving

Gobble. Gobble.

Gobble. Gobble.

I say no more. Fellow Americans, you don’t need another Thanksgiving of watching the James Bond marathon on Spike TV, or waiting in line at the Gap. Just say no.

Instead, by all means, visit the family, have that extra slice of pumpkin pie, but don’t squander away your precious vacation days in store lines (you can buy it online, you know you can) or in front of the television. Break free of the Thanksgiving monotony and go do something fun. Actually have a vacation on your vacation days. This is radical thinking I know, but stick with me here, I have ideas. And I am practicing what I preach, I convinced my whole family to try my suggestion for Thanksgiving this year.

Here’s what I propose: If you live within reasonable drive or train ride to a major city (say around 2 hours or less), have an urban adventure. But, DO NOT SHOP. Instead, visit a museum, indulge in a helicopter ride, treat the kids, or take a day cruise. On Viator.com alone there are over 1,250 things to do in the USA just around the major cities, so no excuses, I am sure you can find something fun to do near you.

If you don’t live close enough to have a big city adventure, visit a National Park near you (or State park, I am not picky). They are blissfully crowd free around winter holidays, and everyone could stand to stroll or hike off a little gravy. Plus, when is the last time you went to your nearby national park? I bet it has been awhile. Stop by and say hi. Take the kids.

Fellow Americans, I urge you, nay, implore you, to GO OUT AND HAVE FUN! If you are home watching the Hallmark Channel’s Festival of Original Movies, or circling for parking at the mall, instead of out having a good time, you are so not going have the best Thanksgiving pictures or stories in the office on Monday. Make a Thanksgiving you’ll be thankful for, the only turkey should be the one you eat.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario